Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hydro XYZ

So, once again, I am blogging about the sleepless wonder. Holden went back to his old sleeping habbits, after my last blog. I am starting to really worry, not just about my own sanity, but Holdens health. I finally decided to see the doctor, specifically for this problem. You see, in the past, I have mentioned it at checkups, but it seemed as if no one believed how little he is sleeping. This time I planned to convince someone.
I called the doctors office, and Holdens Doctor couldn't take him for a couple of weeks, but I needed to see someone immediately! I was on a mission. A mission to save my sanity. So, I made an appointment with another doctor in the office for Monday, August 20th.
Sunday, August 19th - I met someone like me! This woman has a one year old, who like Holden, never slept. Same 15 min. naps. Same gettining up every hour or less at night. Her doctor prescribed a medicine that is known as Hydro XYZ when her baby was Holdens age, and it worked. He now sleeps on his own. I decided that if the Doctor says he cannot do anything, I will bring this up.
Monday August 20th - The doctor asks about Holden's sleeping habbits. He asks exactly how long he sleeps, and when. When he sleeps better. When he sleeps worse. His attitude at day and night. How he is eating. He says it isn't that unusual to not nap much, but his night time behavior is what worries him. He then asks what we have tried, and what we do. I mentioned trying tylenol, and motrin in case he is teething. Teething tablets, gas drops, gas tablets, and Benedryl, which I did give him when he had a runny nose, but secretly did this to get him to sleep. Unfortunately, nothing worked. I then told him how Holden sits up in his sleep, and then can't lay back down. And how when I am rocking him he moves his body and kicks his legs a lot, like he can't relax.
Finally, after lots and lots of talking, he says this, "I believe that he has a sleep disorder, that is most likely caused by an overactive nervous system." Which totally explains the busy "sleepless body syndrome," and how he startles and wakes up so easy. The doctor than goes on to say, "Unfortunately, not much research has been done with infantile sleep disorders, so we don't know much now. I would like to research it, maybe call primary childrens, and see what kind of tests they do. Other than that, there is not much we can do.
I was very disappointed! Then, I remembered to mention Hydro XYZ. "I was going to prescribe that, but you said Benedryl didn't work, and it is basically just Benadryl, but stronger." Well, needless to say, I will try ANYTHING at this point. So, I will try it.
Well, it isn't a miracle cure, but it is helping. He still startles and wakes up after 15 min. naps, but, I can now get him back to sleep for a while, when this could have never been done before. He also sleeps 2-3 hours before waking up at night now. Which is progress. If I can get him to stop eating at night, this will hopefully change. Anyway, this is what I have done so far. I will try this medicine for a while, if it helps, FANTASTIC, if not, I will stop giving it to him, and suck it up. It can't last forever, right? *sigh* Oh well. I guess I can at least start thinking of more interesting blog topics if it works. Which is lucky for you suckers waisting your time reading this!

No comments: